Ms. LaVern Johnson, President of the Lyons Historical Society, is all smiles at receiving a donation of $1000 from Lyons CEMEX Plant Manager Bradley “Shane” Wilson for the restoration project of the town’s 1881 schoolhouse, which is now the Lyons Redstone Museum. CEMEX has been an active partner
in Lyons for over forty years supporting community events, services, schools, and parks.
The museum has received a grant for $54,187 from the State Historical Fund, with $18,049 needed in matching funds. The St. Vrain School District and the Town of Lyons, who are financial partners with the Historical Society in the museum, have both pledged $5000, leaving the Lyons Historical Society to raise the balance of $8049. “These funds will go a long way toward our goal, and brings us up to about 60%, with $3,200 yet to raise,” stated Johnson.
The museum preservation work will include: re-pointing the sandstone on the first story, repainting the steel panels on the second story, and repairing and painting the fire escape. The work is scheduled to be completed this spring or early summer. People wishing to donate (tax exempt) are invited to send funds to: Lyons Redstone Museum - Matching Funds, Box 9, Lyons, CO 80540.
A brief history: In 1968, Martin Marietta purchased several hundred acres of land east of Lyons to process the limestone in the area into cement. Several ranches: Vernon Price, Fred Dirkes, Roy Bullock, and Paul Marks, now house the plant and quarries which have provided jobs for folks of the Lyons area, since 1970. Now, owned by CEMEX, the plant has strived to provide good working conditions and be a good neighbor throughout the years. “Our thanks to CEMEX for their donation,” states Johnson.