While January is the month we gather our W-2 and 1099 tax statements, now is the time to Sign Up to check your Colorado income tax account and filing history in Revenue Online.
What is Revenue Online?
Revenue Online is a free Web service run by the Colorado Department of Revenue where taxpayers can immediately and securely manage their income tax account through their computers, laptops, smartphones or tablets. This is similar to accessing a bank account online.
Open Revenue Online in your computer Web browser: www.Colorado.gov/RevenueOnline
What do I need to have when I sign up to access my account?
1. Click on the button.
2. Click on the Sign Up link (on the right side of the page, under the large red Login button)
3. You will need an email address to use when you sign up. You may use the email address as your Login ID or you may create a different Login ID that you can remember. Here’s what else you need:
- ZIP code on the account.
- the most recent tax return (you’ll need information from that), or
- estimated tax payment amount, or
- refund amount you received (not the amount you claimed), or
- a recent letter from the department that shows a Letter ID number. If you do not have a recent letter, click on the link “Click here to receive a Letter ID.” These are the “security keys” you will use to get permission to access your account.
4. Sign Up is a three-step process:
- a) Taxpayer Information
- b) Login Information (YOU create your Login ID and Password for the account)
- c) Account Information (this is where all the “security keys” go)
5. Make sure you remember the Login ID and Password you created. Then, click the Submit button.
6. You will see a confirmation page on your screen.
7. Open the email box of the email address you entered when you went through the Sign Up process.
8. You will receive an email that tells you whether you were able to get access to the account. Check your Junk email folder if you do not see the email in your Inbox.
The email Subject line will say: Colorado Department of Revenue - Revenue Online Account Access Complete and will contain an Authorization Code that you will use ONLY the first time
you Login. If you don’t get access, try again and verify your Account Information.
Once you have your Authorization Code, go back to Revenue Online via the link in your email.
1. Enter the Login ID and Password you created.
2. Click on the Login button.
3. Enter the Authorization Code from your email (first time only).
4. Click Login. You should then be in your account.
After your first Login, you will need only the Login ID and Password that you created.
What can I do when I get into my state income tax account?
Many of the services offered inside your Revenue Online account make it possible to manage your income tax without the need to contact the department by telephone, email or in person.
- Change your address
- See your 1099-G Department of Revenue refund amounts from prior tax years
- View and print tax returns from prior years
- View your estimated tax payments
- File your tax return
- Amend a tax return
- Attach scanned supporting documents to your account
- Add a Power of Attorney for your tax representative
- Check refund status
- Make payments
- Set up an Agreement to Pay personal income tax
- Allow a tax professional, relative or representative to access your Revenue Online account
- View and print letters sent to you from the Department of Revenue
- Submit tax protests through your account