Front Range Community College will offer free income tax preparation assistance to low- and moderate-income filers this tax season.
This is the eighth year the Boulder County Campus has participated in the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program through the Internal Revenue Service. VITA helps people with incomes of less than $50,000 who need assistance preparing their own tax returns.
The service is free of charge and is available on a walk-in basis. Hours are 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturdays beginning Feb. 5 and running through April 16. No assistance will be available March 19 and 26, the weekends of the campus spring break.
The Boulder County Campus is located at 2121 Miller Drive, Longmont. Interested tax filers should enter the building at Door 7 of the Classroom Building and go to classroom C1730. Clients are seen on a first come, first served basis. There will be numerous VITA volunteers assisting people.
“Last year we helped almost 200 people electronically file their tax returns,” said John McDougall, chair of the Business Department. “We processed more than $260,000 of refunds through electronic filing. This is a lot of money for people who really need it.”
Philip Gay, lead accounting instructor, will be the VITA site coordinator. An FRCC accounting faculty or instructor reviews each return that a volunteer prepares.
Taxpayers should bring:
• Proof of identification
• Social Security cards for the taxpayer(s), spouse, and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
• Birth dates for taxpayer(s), spouse, and dependents on the tax return
• Current year’s tax package if you received one
• Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2 G, 1099-R from all employers
• Interest and dividend statements from banks (Form 1099)
• A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
• Total paid for each day-care provider and the day-care provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or Employer Identification Number)
• Bank Routing Numbers and Account Numbers for direct deposit
• To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-jointly tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required form.