by Cliff Colgan, Nutrittion Therapist
Today, more kids have functional, behavioral, social or learning problems than the previous generation. By a large number. These children around age 18 months to 12 years start to become disconnected
in the way they respond to stimuli, family interaction, social situations, and learning demands of school. Kids are being brought in by concerned parents to psychologists or doctors who come up with terms to describe the child’s symptoms such as ADHD (Attention Deficit), Asperger’s, Dyslexia etc.
The inference from the health professional often is the affliction is genetic and largely unmanageable without medication, such as Ritalin or other drugs. I am going to present an alternative approach which simply states: if you balance the communication between the right and left hemispheres of the child, you will improve how they connect with their world. The different symptoms being experienced by the child are a reflection of the parts of the brain that are not communicating properly with another part on the other side of the brain. By assessing which side of the brain is functionally deficient and improving that function through exercises (mental and physical), the communication between both sides of the child’s brain improves.
This approach has been presented by a world renowned chiropractic neurologist, named Dr Robert Melillo. His research of children’s behavioral and academic neurological disorders for 17 years has produced two books; “Disconnected Kids” and “Reconnecting Kids.” Dr Melillo has 42 Brain Balance Centers across the U.S. with one located in Golden.
The Ten Principles of Brain Balance:
- Childhood neurobehavioral and academic disorders are actually one condition with different sets of symptoms. This condition is called Functional Disconnect Syndrome (FDS).
- The underlying problem is a dysfunction in either the right or left side of the brain that puts the brain out of sync.
- The problem and the dysfunctions have to be accurately identified.
- The only way to correct the problem is to fix the imbalance, not treat the symptoms. Treat the symptoms with medication and brain function will never improve. Symptoms will return as soon as the medication wears off.
- All functional problems in the brain must be addressed individually. Each problem must be addressed one at a time.
- Success is achievable through a hemispheric based-program. This means improving the communication balance between the two sides of the brain by stimulating the weaker side without stimulating the stronger, more dominant side.
- Same Time integration gets the brain back into sync. Each impaired function is addressed individually, then gradually integrated with the other impaired functions, to improve timing and rhythm between the right and left hemispheres of the child’s brain.
- The brain and body must grow together. If the body is out of balance, the brain is out of balance, and vice versa to an equal degree.
- The problems are not primarily genetic and are permanently correctable. Environmental factors are primarily responsible for the condition.
- Parents play a crucial role in a child’s individual success. Parents have the power to achieve success using the Mellilo At Home Brain Balance Program. They must be motivated and fully involved in motivating their child to complete the required tasks. Combining this program with professional guidance and school involvement produces the best results. Dr. Melillo has personally worked with over a thousand children with Functional Disconnect Syndrome and their parents to dramatically improve their brain function, social skills, and academic progress.
Finally, food sensitivities such as gluten and dairy intolerances can make Functional Disconnect disorders much worse. Identifying and eliminating problem foods for your child is very important to improving his quality of life. Essential fatty acids in beans, walnuts, and cold water fish are crucial to proper brain function. Finally, give more vegetables and less meat. Kids love plates with compartments and put more vegetables in those compartments.
Cliff Colgan can be reach at 303-898-6109. His office is located at 435 High Street, Lyons, Colorado.